Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Out-of-Body Experience

Just yesterday I went to Six Flags over Georgia with my family and one of my friends. Right before the park closed, we decided to go on Goliath. It had taken over an hour of convincing for my friend to finally decide he would ride the largest roller coaster in the Southeast.

As we got into Goliath, both of our stomachs were doing somersaults, me and my friend.

"IF YOU'RE READY, SAY YEAAAAAHHHHHH!" shouted the ride operator -- and off we went.

Click, click, click, click the ride went as we ascended the hill. The second before we plummeted towards our death, I took a deep breath and held it.

Then it happened. Right after the second hill I started to get this strange feeling. I looked down at my hands madly grasping the bar in front of me. Everything went blurry and I completely forgot everything -- who I was, what I was doing, where I was. I was half expecting to wake up from this nightmare. I tried to move my hands but couldn't. It wasn't as if they were stuck, it was as if they were not my own hands.

I eventually realized I was on a roller coaster, which explained why I was being so crazily jerked around. I looked over at my friend and could not even think of who he was or how I thought I was supposed to know him. After about 10 seconds of this strange feeling, I remembered who and where I was.

Then the ride came to a stop.

5 comments:

Ms. Easter said...

Hi Connor,

I'm a regular reader of your dad's blog and read your essay "Why Me..." this morning. Interest piqued, I decided to come over and check out _your_ blog. I'd say you have a flair for the written word as as well as some cool perspectives on the world and your part in it. Your writing is extremely thoughtful and well-planned. I look forward to reading your entries.

Barb
ASL Interpreter
Canada

KristenMary said...

Does that mean you liked it? LOL!

Connor McGowan said...

I think I would have liked it if I could remember it. I was too busy trying to unfog my vision, wiggle my fingers and remember who I was.

Mandie said...

And your dad wonders why people love roller coasters! I can think of worse ways to forget who you are for a moment.

Excellent retelling.

Hugo said...

Something I thought you might find interesting:

Scientists induce out-of-body sensation using virtual reality